Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Media

So the news of the NEA hit the University circuit. It's very funny to see your picture on your school's home page. They have a rotating set of "success stories" and every so often when I open the page to access school stuff, there's the picture Egg took of me staring back. Of course, I don't love the picture; though it's not terrible. I feel like I'm the same color of face & hair & shirt. Three interviews, one online piece & a oforum, one school paper and one city paper is exhausting. It's kind of fun too and I like this bit of fame. What I really like are the questions about poetry as if anyone cares. Maybe they do. At least the interviewers do. And so have a couple people who have contacted me who didn't know me and read about the grant. It's also kind of fun to articulate my project. It provides me a bit more clarity too. Now if I only knew what to do with the grant. Take a semester off? But then we'd stay here & I'm not sure how beneficial that would be. Spend it on a trip to Europe? Perhaps a bit of dislocation would help me write more regularly. Maybe I'll just go hang out in a beach house in Oregon. Yes. That sounds nice.
I sent the PR stuff to the U and to the Trib in SL so maybe they'll be interested. It'd be nice to have people who know me see me in the news. The best part: My students said congratulations when I walked into class yesterday. It's so rare for them to speak without being directly asked a question and a number of them, in front of everyone said how they'd read the piece in the paper. My intro students who I've taught for only a week. So sweet. Makes teaching a bit easier too. They seemed (of course, could have been purely the glow through which I say them) to pay more attention to what I had to say. I think I've been talking--including the 3 hours classes, the interviews, and the welcome back from break conversations--for the past week and a half straight. My jaw hurts a little. Perhaps that's a sign I should go write something.

5 comments:

Trista said...

oh oh oh!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Dr. Write said...

Congrats again! I'll have to visit your school's homepage in hopes of seeing your photo!
Yes, the beach sounds good. And writing. What's that?

Lisa B. said...

I had forgotten about this exciting news--you rock the NEA world!

Lisa B. said...

oh, and can I come to the beach house and perform muse-like activities, such as mixing you a drink or making witty conversation?

Anonymous said...

I put you in the spring issue of the U magazine, Continuum, out next week. :) (Online soon -- link from the top right here: http://www.alumni.utah.edu/) I was duly impressed and thought we should impress others with your fabulousness, as well.