But it was too late. I did something seemingly permanent to my shoulder. Pinched a nerve? Unknitted the shoulder muscle from the neck so there's nothing but frayed meat hanging from the bone? I haven't gone to the doctor yet but since this is the most I've typed in two weeks and I have syllabi to build, an introduction, a panel presentation, and a explanation of what I write to write, I had probably best go in and see if I can at least get some pain relievers that let me sleep through the night.
In other MLA news:
- Interviewing candidates is hard but so much less hard than being the interviewee.
- I learned a lot of new ideas of what and how to teach thanks to the interview.
- I am excited about our candidates. They're amazing. Makes my job look even cooler.
- I met some bloggers at the bar. They were hard to find because none of them wore the fishnet stockings they promised. I kept going up to women at the various hotel bars asking to see under their skirts. Very flirty but ineffective in blogger-finding.
- I wandered around the city before the blogger meet up--at 8:30. I was in at 4 with a broken shoulder. That warranted a drink. And a pizza. My first pizza. Then I wandered the wrong way, got lost, found sushi, spent way too much on sushi , went to the blogger meet-up, had but one glass of wine, wandered back the mile or so to my hotel, had one more glass of wine and one more pizza (of which I did not eat the whole thing). Woke up at 3 screaming with shoulder pain.
- I did not throw up on any of the interviewees even though the arm pain was making me nauseated.
- Went out for pizza with colleagues that night.
- Met friends for dinner the next night.
- Waited for Egg and Z's plane from SLC to land at O'Hare for over an hour. A $60 cab-ride to pick up the car made me rethink our bargain flying plans. We drove from here and parked at a long-term and cheap park and ride. But with His Heaviness, I could not imagine taking the El.
- Got home to a clean house and happy animals.
- Cleo hurt her leg running down the stairs to welcome us home.
- The house is now a disaster.
- And now I have to type more even though this is the end of my typing shoulder.
Happy New Year and the semester starts tomorrow.....